Join Earth Hour Day
Earth Hour is a worldwide grassroots movement uniting people to protect the planet, and is organised by WWF (World Wildlife Fund) annually at the end of March. Engaging a massive mainstream community on a broad range of environmental issues, Earth Hour was famously started as a lights-off event in Sydney, Australia in 2007. Since then it has grown to engage more than 7,000 cities worldwide, and the one-hour event continues to remain the key driver of the now larger movement.
The event is held worldwide towards the end of March annually, encouraging individuals, communities, households and businesses to turn off their non-essential lights for one hour as a symbol of their commitment to the planet. Earth Hour aims to encourage an interconnected global community to share the opportunities and challenges of creating a sustainable world (https://www.earthhour.org).
Every little bit counts and at Centara we encourage everyone to participate. Here are some easy tips that you can practice at home or during your stay with us.
- Enjoy a romantic candlelight dinner. Please make sure there is no food waste from your meal as we try to save the planet and its resources.
- It's time for personal connecting. Put all of your electronic gadgets down and talk to the person beside you.
- Let's work out! Take the stairs if possible and avoid the lift. Did you know that you can burn about 0.17 calories for every step you climb!
- Unplug electrical appliances when you are not using them. Any electrical device that has an external power supply connected to it will continue to consume electricity even when powered off or in standby/ sleep modes.
- Adjust the air-condition temperature to 25 degrees, which is the ideal temperature to regulate power usage.
- Clean the air conditioning filter regularly to save 3 to 5% of electricity and create a healthier environment with cleaner air.
- Cool water shower. Did you know that warm/hot water consumes a lot of electricity as well as dries out your skin?
- Purchase energy efficient appliances, i.e. LED light bulb or eco cars, not only saving the environment but also helping you save money. Even better, if the weather is nice, why not walk or ride a bicycle to work.
- Stay near your office to reduce transportation cost and carbon footprint. Did you know that Centara prioritises the employment of those who live within 20 km from the hotel to reduce the carbon footprint?
- Turn out the lights! Get to sleep early, not only saving electricity but also it's great for the mind and body, and even assists in preventing wrinkles!
If you have other Earth Hour or energy saving tips, please share them with us at [email protected]