Like the myth of the English and their full English breakfast every morning, Bangkokians are now reluctant to be known for just eating street food as the reigning stereotype might suggest.
With the explosion of international tourism and Thais travelling abroad, Bangkok has become a hub for health and wellness options. For tourists and locals alike, there are plenty of options to stay healthy and have fun at the same time.
Forget the street food and the abundance of partying options. Here are some of the best ways to stay healthy in Bangkok.
Bangkok has a huge array of gyms to choose from. So, if you like the idea of lifting weights, jumping boxes or taking part in an aerobics class, the city will have a gym for you.
- After launching ten years ago, Fitness First now has 29 gyms across the country.
- With classes ranging from Body Pump to Zumba, this is the perfect place to meet new gym buddies.
- Visit their premium branch located at ZONE CentralWorld
- Often lauded as Bangkok’s premium fitness provider, Virgin Active has seven gyms across the capital.
- Offering everything from boxercise to personal trainers, Virgin Active is quickly gaining itself a reputation as Thailand’s most prolific gym.
Lifestyle on 26
- Conveniently located in the Centara Grand & Bangkok Convention Centre at CentralWorld, Lifestyle on 26 is the perfect place to work out and relax.
- Boasting a state-of-the-art gym, a 25-metre outdoor swimming pool and numerous classes to keep you entertained and motivated, Lifestyle on 26 is the ideal place to stay fit during your holiday.
- Tired of working out? Try spending an afternoon at the SPA Cenvaree, an award-winning luxury spa, specialising in traditional Thai and Ayurvedic remedies, along with modern rejuvenation and hydrotherapy practices.
Relax at an onsen
For many in Thailand, both locals and tourists alike, an onsen is somewhat unfamiliar territory. A popular addition to the growing health industry in Bangkok, bathing in an onsen or a hot spring is healthy, rejuvenating, and leaves you feeling refreshed, relaxed and clean.
Yunomori Onsen & Spa
- As Thailand’s first authentic Japanese onsen and spa, Yunomori Onsen continues to be a haven for those seeking refuge from the stress of modern-day city living.
- Located close to Phrom Phong Skytrain Station, this luxurious onsen and spa is open from 9 am until midnight.
Let’s Relax Onsen and Spa
- Escape the searing heat of Bangkok at one of the city’s most popular onsens.
- Perfectly situated in the hip and trendy Thong Lor district, Let’s Relax opens from 10 am until midnight.
Hit the park
While lagging behind the likes of London, Singapore and Hong Kong for green spaces, Bangkok does have some exceptional places to walk around and work out in.
- As Bangkok’s largest and most central park, Lumphini Park is a great place to relax and work out.
- One of the best times to visit is early morning/evening, when the air is fresh and the park is full of people running, walking, cycling or practising t’ai chi.
- The park can be easily accessed by both the Skytrain and underground system.
- Ideally situated close to Asok Skytrain Station, Benjakitti Park is very popular with fitness fanatics and those looking at a relaxing walk around the 208,000-sqm site.
- The park has dedicated bicycle and jogging tracks encircling the whole area.
King Rama IX Park
- Slightly away from the city centre, King Rama IX Park is a magnificent botanical garden with a lake and gardens inspired by countries across the world.
- As one of the largest green spaces in Bangkok but outside of the centre, the park remains relatively free of tourists.
Other fitness options
As one of the world’s hottest capital cities, Bangkok has a vast amount of adventure activities to keep you and the kids active. Here are two of our favourites.
Flow House Bangkok
- Bringing beach vibes to the city, ride the famous Flow House wave and enjoy spectacular food and drinks.
- Located close to Phrom Pong BTS Skytrain Station, Flow House Bangkok is open every day of the week.
Rock Domain Climbing Gym
- Spread over 1,100 square metres, Rock Domain Climbing Gym is the perfect activity for the whole family.
- Offering a good choice of different climbing walls including lead climbing, top-rope climbing and bouldering, this will certainly be a great way to spend an afternoon with the kids
- Situated slightly out of reach of the Skytrain, the best way to get here is by taxi.
Bangkok has a huge array of affordable five-star accommodation that also caters towards families. Located in the very heart of Bangkok’s cosmopolitan shopping and business district, the Centara Grand & Bangkok Convention Centre at CentralWorld is a top destination for those looking to experience the very best hospitality Bangkok has to offer.
The hotel has fantastic city views from its guestrooms and its highly acclaimed restaurants and bars. Providing an enjoyable blend of city living with resort-style facilities, the hotel has an award-winning spa along with a fitness centre, tennis courts and an outdoor pool with a sundeck.
With so many different options to choose from, staying healthy in Bangkok has never been easier.